DOMESTIC BLISS: KITCHEN TREATS

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Every now and then you stumble over a cook book that makes you feel like a regular Nigella in the cullinary department. Following hot on the heels of my "Vanilla Beings" (check out Cabin Fever: Kitchen Treats if you're curious ) I turned to my trusty copy of babies & toddlers good food when looking for a healthy snack food to add to our picnik basket over the weekend.

Rice-Paper Vegie Rolls caught my attention primarily because the picture in the book looked fancy and frankly I wanted to show off. The bravado quickly wore off when I laid all the ingredients out on the bench and started entertaining the idea of actually rolling these all into edible packaged proportions.

That aside once I got in the "roll" of things (couldn't resist...sorry) it all came together surprisingly easily. While I'm still a few attempts off perfecting the store bought look it was widely agreed (between a family of three) that these will become a lunch box regular. For bigger people I highly recommend accompanying with soy sauce to really realise true awesomeness.

I have to apologise for the single photo I have of these. I fully intended to take pictures of the making process but it turned out far messier (beetroot is not a camera's friend) and frankly made it all look a lot more complicated than it actually was.

Want to try something different? Enjoy - let me know how you get on, I'm keen to hear any variations!

Rice-Paper Vegie Rolls
25g thin vermicelli (for mine I used one portion of egg noodles which had the same effect)
2 tbsp smooth peanut butter (I substitued Heinz Seriously Good Aioli...perfection in a squeegy bottle)
Rice Paper
1/2 Avocado
1/2 Carrott grated finely
1/4 Fresh beetroot grated finely
1 green onion, sliced finely

To make:
  • Place vermicelli in small heatproof bowl & cover with boiling water. Stand until just tender; drain
  • Cut noodles into 4cm lengths; combine in small bowl with peanut butter
  • Place 1 sheet of rice paper in medium bowl of warm water until just softened
  • Lift out carefully; place on board.
  • Place layer of noodle mixture in centre of rice paper, top with avocado, carrot, beetroot & onion
  • Roll to enclose, folding in ends
  • Repeat with remaining rice paper sheets and filling ingredients
  • Serve with Dipping Sauce
  • Hide from children - devour at will

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Hover to Pin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design